Home   Help Search Login Register  

April 20, 2014, 09:59:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Most aggressive snow tire available?  (Read 6670 times)
gileadgarage
Legend

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »

Just curious, I know studded winterforce's are probably the way to go, but I also like the look of the Arctic claws and Weathemasters,  since they are the only tires i have seen without the solid center rib.
Is anyone using these?
I wish they still made the Nordman1, that is one nasty tire. I'm looking for the most aggressive studded tire possible (195/70/14), with out the solid center rib, all mfg's seem to be going this way for a quieter tire.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:51:12 PM by gileadgarage » Logged
DecorativeDirtStud
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:33 PM »

Dean Wintercat...    Wink

blah, blah, blah...  ACCELERATE!!!
Chang
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »

Nokian Hakka5 studded, 185/70/14.  195 not available, but you want skinnier anyway.
Last two years in a row, 185/65/15 studded Hakka5 had the lowest accumulated time at the Stafford National RallyX Challenge and btw, it was a fwd car.
Nokian has more patents on winter tire technology than all of the other tire manufacturers combined.
Nokian spends more money on research and development of winter tires than all of the other tire manufacturers combined.
Yes, I am a Nokian dealer, but I offer them because they are the best available.

Chang Ho Kim
FunPhotos Racing
24DS 00 ITR, 24STC 89 Civic Si
24MF 90 Civic GSR, 24PF 89 Civic Si
89 CRX HF 118mpg
Ty Ty
Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »

Weathemasters

I've got Cooper Weathermaster S/T2's on the Audi.  Extremely happy with the amount of grip.

#95 SCCA NER RallyCross
baltruckij
Driver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:23:17 AM »

I have to agree with chang - However - stud retension is a big problem with those tires on our heavier car.

I don't know if it's just the weight, or the excessive wheelspin - but we lost about 80% of the studs in just a few runs.
Those few runs were awesome, but shortlived.

My opinion now is that if I am going to just destroy a set of tires, they better be cheap tires.

And studded tires that lost all the studs are not as good as un-studded tires designed for better traction without studs.
Hakka R's seemed to be the hot ticket.

gileadgarage
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »

Good to know, I'll take a better look at these. So is it legal for me to run some taller/skinnier tires in SA (185/70 or whatever) That is 5% -/+ should be OK i would think.
Can't studs be glued in too? What do the ice racers do? Chang, If i go for some Nokians i will contact you. I am thinking about getting another set of Vatiiva's for my wifes Cherokee as well.

We got a foot of snow today, I rally'd the Audi to work on the back roads 45 miles, going home tonight on the back roads again. Glad i did not take the 240 today roads were very slick.
katnip
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »

I have to agree with chang - However - stud retension is a big problem with those tires on our heavier car.

I don't know if it's just the weight, or the excessive wheelspin - but we lost about 80% of the studs in just a few runs.
Those few runs were awesome, but shortlived.

My opinion now is that if I am going to just destroy a set of tires, they better be cheap tires.

And studded tires that lost all the studs are not as good as un-studded tires designed for better traction without studs.
Hakka R's seemed to be the hot ticket.

I still don't know how you and Warren lost so many studs. Shocked  Tim ran a set of studded hakkas for a STAGE RALLY, that included transits on real roads, and some knarly rally roads and at speeds CONSIDERABLY faster than anything we run for rallyx and there were very few studs missing from any of the tires.

I have taken the studs out of a set of hakkas (I didn't want studs on the RS but the tires were sitting around, so we took them out) and they ran me 3 winters of winter driving and rallyx and were awesome.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:49:33 PM by katnip » Logged

Kathy Moody
#158, PA, Dirty STi
NER Asst. Rallycross Chair
National Rules Committee Member
gileadgarage
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »

Since i already have the near new Hankook 409's, I'd like to replace the many missing studs. i know tire shops won't do it, but surely this can be done if the holes are checked/cleaned out?
I'd like to find a tire studder, gonna look around now. Has anyone ever attempted this?
I wish i got some 185/70/14's though, if I do end up getting another set of tires it'll probly be winterforce studded in this size since they are only 65.ea with studs. I read a bunch of comparisons and the 409 seems very comparable, and apparently has a stiffer sidewall. I wish i could take the tire groover to that damned solid center rib though!
If I were in M4, I'd be doing my own tires just like the Ice racers, they do some sharpened bolts w/washers through them, look nasty!
gileadgarage
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »

I looked into it, tire stud gun set ups are atleast 450. They can be done by hand and I may give that a try (obviously will be a pita). if there is any debri in the stud hole it can be pushed into the tire and cause a flat. Gonna pick up some studs from the local tire shop and give it a try - or maybe they'll bend the rules and replace the missing studs that they put in, I'll clean out the hole best i can and take my chances on a flat. One trick is to use Antifreeze as a lube when installing, which then gets sticky and holds them in better.
Watch out for shooting studs if working the course!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:45:16 PM by gileadgarage » Logged
RALLY200SX
Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 11:24:55 AM »

I've got Cooper Weathermaster S/T2's on the Audi.  Extremely happy with the amount of grip.

We have run these in the past and they were on the Impreza last weekend - very good tire and priced right
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:26:44 PM by RALLY200SX » Logged

Amuzed Motorsports
1996 RallyX Impreza with V2 STI swap #228
1987 RX-7 #16 ITS

"If I had all the money i've spent on cars, i'd spend it on cars"

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt
Chang
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »

At Wolf Chase this year, Hal, Kim and I were on the gravel tires for the morning.  Hal had Kim by 5 seconds and me by 5.1 seconds after the first three runs.  Kim and I switched to the Nokians for our last two runs, Hal stayed on his gravel tires.  I came in first, Kim came in 2nd and Hal third.  I am not that good a driver.  The Nokians are magic.

Chang Ho Kim
FunPhotos Racing
89 CRX HF 118mpg
Ty Ty
Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »

I would chalk that up more to Hal keeping his gravels on, than to your oh so magical Nokians.   Wink

#95 SCCA NER RallyCross
Chang
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 07:41:41 AM »

TyTy,
You were faster than me on the morning runs.  I was faster than you on the two afternoon runs.  Nokian > Cooper.  FWD faster than AWD?  Nokian magic  Grin

Chang Ho Kim
FunPhotos Racing
89 CRX HF 118mpg
Ty Ty
Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »

TyTy,
You were faster than me on the morning runs.  I was faster than you on the two afternoon runs.  Nokian > Cooper.  FWD faster than AWD?  Nokian magic  Grin

My windshield turned opaque in the afternoon, hahaha.  We only had manual defrost ala' paper towels.

#95 SCCA NER RallyCross
baltruckij
Driver

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 01:33:01 PM »

we swapped to last years winterforce tires on the audi - cheap and still fast.
Great in mud ans snow.

They suck on the ice though

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: